http://www.blogger.com/home ← Back to Dashboard

The Showcase of Depravity

This is the long hard truth. It goes extra deep.

"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." The Showcase of Depravity showcases... depravity. Wisdom and humor from the perspective of a few disgruntled (& sexy) video store professionals.

Image hosting by Photobucket

Saturday, June 10, 2006

WWJD? Acid, probably.

I was alone in the store today, hoping something cool would happen, and then fate walked right through the door in the form of a 20-something scrawny white kid and said, or rather yelled across the store, what I thought at the time was the strangest and most random phrasing of a question ever:
"YOOOOO! Do you have Jesus Christ Superstar???!"

I couldn't help chuckling to myself at the sheer unlikelihood of the word "YO" being paired with the sentence "do you have Jesus Christ Superstar", and that it came out of the mouth of some weird dude acting as if getting this film was extremely crucial to his day.

"Haha.. hah.. Uh, YO! yea, sure, of course" I reply. He may have thought my mild mocking of his question was funny at first, but he didn't really have the patience for it and quickly said
"yea, where? like no one else has it, I gotta get it for today!"

So I say "I don't think we can sell you one today, maybe we can order it. Do you need it today?"
and then he started getting all jumpy and freaking out and went on to prove me wrong in thinking his original question would be the strangest thing I'd hear all day.
He says
"Honestly, me and some friends are trippin' on acid and we gotta watch Jesus Christ Superstar!"

Ah, now it all makes sense. They've probably worn out The Wall, and playing Dark Side of the Moon with The Wizard of Oz can only blow your mind so many times, so they went for the next best thing: The psychedelic, freaky, far out journey of Jesus Christ and his musical crucifixion! There's nothing trippier than dying for the sins of mankind, especially when set to a 70's rock opera. Madonna only wishes she could pull that off.

Needless to say, I went to his house after work and tripped my balls off to the lyrics of Tim Rice. If only that was the first time I could say that...
We tried playing it to the music of Dark Side of the Moon, but even with a whole load of quality acid, it just doesn't work. But that doesn't mean I won't try again next Friday night, and every subsequent Friday night until it does work.

-Jordan

P.S. watching Jesus Christ Superstar on acid is a blast, but watching The Passion of the Christ on acid is an entirely different thing. Not recommended if you don't want nightmares for the rest of your life.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:53 AM, Blogger MFB said…

    I think the best watching-while-on-acid pick is The Monkees' movie Head. Do you think that guy was actually tripping? Fairfield is whack.

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Blogger Jordan said…

    yea that's good, but Head is like a movie on acid. Head is the movie you should watch if you're afraid to take acid.

    and i dont think he was actually tripping while talking to me - but i'm not sure. he seemed like he was definitely on drugs, maybe coke. he was very jittery and anxious.
    Fairfield is known for it's acid, though.

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Return to Oz is quite a mind-bending movie even without your mind being chemically pre-expanded. I can hardly make it through that weird-ass movie /sober/. And since when has Fairfield been known for its acid? Wish I knew that when I lived in Fairfield. :-P


    -Dan C.

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger Jordan said…

    Return to Oz was hands down the scariest movie of my child hood. probably the scariest ever. Why woudl anyone market a nightmare on film to children? god, it's terrifying! and so bizarre

    yea, fairfield isn't really known for its acid, but it does have some top notch sailing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory Free Web Counter
Web Site Counter